From the Poughkeepsie Journal dated 9/25/14.
Rabbi Daniel Polish, of Shir Chadash in LaGrangeville, had the opportunity to meet with Pope Francis during the interfaith service Friday.
It was an enormously moving ceremony where he talked about the reaction to 9/11 and how it was appropriate that these religions come together to promote peace at a site where religion was misused for destruction,” Polish said.
Having met the pope before, Polish said that it was not intimidating meeting him again.
“You don’t feel tension with him,” Polish said. “He’s warm and very accepting. You can exchange ideas with him and he will be receptive.
Rabbi Polish and Pope Francis greet each other at the Vatican in July 2013 when the Pope met with representatives of the Jewish community.
Shir Chadash is once again participating in the Dutchess Interfaith CROP Hunger Walk on Sunday, October 18.
- You can start any time between 10 AM and 2 PM
- Registration is at the Hudson Valley Community Center; 110 Grand Ave, Poughkeepsie
- Walk starts and ends at the Community Center
- Be prepared – there’s a Bake Sale!
- Distance is 6 miles total with 3 rest stops
- Walk full amount or just part, not a problem
- Event takes place rain or shine
- No recreational wheels or dogs please
- Parking at HVCC, Hellenic Community Center, or Temple Beth El
Interested? Call or email Amy or Gary Levitan 845 702-5866 to:
- get a sponsor envelope before the walk
- or if you would like to donate (make checks out to CWS-CROP)
- or for any additional information
Let’s help feed the hungry!
We are pleased to announce that Melinda Margulies has been appointed religious school director. Ms. Margulies brings 35 years of experience in early childhood settings, and is known to the local community for her seventeen years teaching and as the Director of the Early Childhood Center, a Judaic program at the Jewish Community Center of Dutchess County.
Ms. Margulies was a Tot Shabbat teacher for Shir Chadash years ago and was the PJ Professional for Harold Grinspoon’s PJ Library in Dutchess, Ulster, and Columbia counties from 2009-2014. As an extension of her duties as Early Childhood Director at the JCCDC, Ms. Margulies was responsible for family programming for the Jewish Community such as parent education, Community Purim Carnival, and the Community Hannukah and TuB’Shevat celebrations.
Ms. Margulies looks forward to working with Rabbi Polish, Cantor Hirschenfang, the teachers and the Shir Chadash education committee to bring fresh life to religious education classes for children. New materials, a different overall direction for classes, and Melinda’s enthusiasm for connecting families to rich Judaic experiences will invigorate the school environment.
The entire community is invited to participate in a newly developed family centered class for young children during Sharing Shabbat with an introductory event Sharing Sweetness; Welcoming the High Holy Days as a Family on Saturday, September 12th at 9 am.
Please join us as we start a new partnership with Melinda.
Join us in an easy fund-raising effort that will fit right into your weekly grocery trip. Just buy grocery GIFT CARDS
from Shir Chadash. This is how it works:
- Buy gift cards in in$25 increments from Shir Chadash
- Choose Hannaford, ShopRite, Adams Fairacre Farms or Stop & Shop
- When Shir Chadash has accumulated $1,000 per store, you get your cards
- A percentage of the money you spend comes back to Shir Chadash
Use PayPal to place your order – you can use a credit card even if you don’t have a PayPal account.